Materials List: Biodomes Engineering Design Project:
Each group needs: (Most items are available at hardware or garden center stores.)
- Biodomes Engineering Design Project Workbook: Lessons 2-6
- 2 plastic containers (1- and 2-liter bottles with lids work well, or other inexpensive clear plastic trays, bowls, covers and lids) Well in advance, ask students to bring biodome construction materials from home, or rinse out plastic containers from a recycling bin.
- seeds (provide several types for different climates)
- soil (3-4 cups or .7-.9 l)
- sand (3-4 cups or .7-.9 l)
- supply of miscellaneous materials, such as pebbles, rocks, wire, small paper cups, plastic wrap, string, foil, popsicle sticks, chopsticks, etc.
- If insects are not available outside (due to the weather or other limitations), consider purchasing a small supply of crickets from a pet store.
For the entire class to share:
- masking tape
- duct tape
- glue (preferred: hot glue sticks with glue guns)
- exacto knives (if teacher cuts the plastic bottles)
- butterfly nets and/or jars and paper cups (to catch and hold insects and worms)
- drill (to make a hole in plastic bottle lids)