Materials List: Determining Concentration
Each group needs:
- LEGO MINDSTORMS Education EV3 Core Set (includes color sensor) available at https://education.lego.com/en-us/products/lego-mindstorms-education-ev3-core-set/5003400#lego-mindstorms-education-ev3. If not enough LEGO bricks and sensors are available for each group, conduct the data gathering portion of the activity as a class demonstration, sharing the reflected light data with the class, so students can complete the rest of the activity
- 9 plastic cuvettes, labeled A-G and 1-2, a pack of 100 available at https://www.universalmedicalinc.com/brandtech-brand-polystyrene-spectrophotometry-cuvettes.html?
- Pre-Activity Assessment, one per student.
- Determining Concentration Worksheet, one per student
- Post- Activity Assessment, one per student
To share with the entire class:
- red liquid food coloring
- 9 containers, to hold 20 ml of liquid each
- masking tape/pen or wax pencil, to label 9 containers
Note: This activity can also be conducted with the older (and no longer sold) LEGO MINDSTORMS NXT set instead of EV3; see below for those supplies:
- LEGO MINDSTORMS Education NXT Base Set (includes light sensor)