Fact or Fiction?
Note: The expendable cost for this activity covers an invisible ink pen, five dancing solar-powered flower pots and Reece’s Pieces candy packets for 30 students (and the latter two are optional). The other many non-expendable items—such as tackle boxes, padlocks and black light flashlights (~$45 per group)—are expensive, yet fully reusable to run the activity many times, and many (similar) items you may already have in your classroom or home.
Each group needs:
- E.T Phone Home Fact Box Message (2 on a sheet)
- Clue Numero Uno (5 on a sheet)
- Solar Energy AWESOMENESS Crossword Puzzle (answers on page 2)
- QR Code: What Is a Satellite?
- QR Code: Your Cool Basics on Renewable Energy
- QR Code: Periodic Table of the Elements
- QESST Wordle Puzzle
- Small Group Participation Rubric Criteria and Scoring Sheet (4 on a sheet), one per student
- tackle box, or any sort of box with a lid that can be locked with four padlocks, such as a 19-inch tool box at Amazon
- alphabet padlock, such as the 5-dial resettable wordlock combination padlock at Amazon
- directional padlock, such as the resettable combination lock for $8 at Amazon
- 2 three-digit combination locks, such as from a 4-pack of resettable locker locks at Amazon
- UV flashlight, such as from a 5-pack of black light flashlights with batteries at Amazon
To share with the entire class:
- red marker
- invisible ink pen, such as from a four-pack from Amazon
- (optional) ~5 solar-powered, dancing flower pots, 1 for each member of the winning team; such as a set of two from Amazon
- (optional) Reese’s Pieces (peanut butter) candy (1.53-oz) packet, one per student; such as a box of 36 packets from Amazon
- smart device with QR reader installed, such as a Chromebook
- computer with internet access and capability to show the class many short online videos