The lesson begins with a demonstration introducing students to the force between two current carrying loops, comparing the attraction and repulsion between the loops to that between two magnets. After a lecture on Ampere's law, students begin to use the concepts to calculate the magnetic field around a loop. This is applied to determine the magnetic field of a toroid, imagining a toroid as a looped solenoid.
Each TeachEngineering lesson or activity is correlated to one or more K-12 science, technology, engineering or math (STEM) educational standards.
All 100,000+ K-12 STEM standards covered in TeachEngineering are collected, maintained and packaged by the Achievement Standard Network (ASN), a project of JES & Co. (www.jesandco.org).
In the ASN, standards are hierarchically structured: first by source; e.g., by state; within source by type; e.g., science or mathematics; within type by subtype, then by grade, etc.
Click on the standard groupings to explore this hierarchy as it applies to this document.
- Common Core State Standards for Mathematics: Math
- 2. Apply concepts of density based on area and volume in modeling situations (e.g., persons per square mile, BTUs per cubic foot).★ (Grades 9 - 12)  ...show
- International Technology and Engineering Educators Association: Technology
- H. Technological innovation often results when ideas, knowledge, or skills are shared within a technology, among technologies, or across other fields. (Grades 9 - 12)  ...show
- K. Energy can be grouped into major forms: thermal, radiant, electrical, mechanical, chemical, nuclear, and others. (Grades 9 - 12)  ...show
- National Science Education Standards: Science
- Results of scientific inquiry--new knowledge and methods--emerge from different types of investigations and public communication among scientists. In communicating and defending the results of scientific inquiry, arguments must be logical and demonstrate connections between natural phenomena, investigations, and the historical body of scientific knowledge. In addition, the methods and procedures that scientists used to obtain evidence must be clearly reported to enhance opportunities for further investigation. (Grades 9 - 12)  ...show
- Next Generation Science Standards: Science
- Develop and use models to illustrate that energy at the macroscopic scale can be accounted for as either motions of particles or energy stored in fields. (Grades 9 - 12)  ...show
- Apply Ampere's law to calculate magnetic fields in symmetric situations.
- Describe the magnetic field of a torroid.
Demo: Force between Two Current Loops
- 2 small-diameter coil
- 2 30W or higher 5V DC power supply
- 2 lab stands
- 1 thin str aluminum foil
- Wires with alligator clip leads 4
- tape, 1 roll
Lesson Background and Concepts for Teachers
Legacy Cycle Information
|A surface generated by the revolution of any closed plane curve or contour about an axis lying in its plane.|
"MRI." Dictionary.com. Random House Unabridged Dictionary, Random House. Accessed June 23, 2008. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mri
© 2013 by Regents of the University of Colorado; original © 2006 Vanderbilt University
VU Bioengineering RET Program, School of Engineering, Vanderbilt University
Last modified: February 4, 2016