Materials List: Solid Rock to Building Block
Each group needs:
- 1 soap or wax block (~5 cm x 5 cm)
- 1 clay block (~5 cm x 5 cm)
- 1 foam block (~5 cm x 5 cm)
- 1 Styrofoam block (~5 cm x 5 cm)
- Wooden wedge (approximately the size of a typical doorstop [5 cm x 10 cm x 5 cm])
- Balsa wood wedge (~3 cm x 3 cm x 6 cm)
- Plastic wedge (~3 cm x 3 cm x 6 cm)
- Styrofoam/foam wedge (~3 cm x 3 cm x 6 cm)
For the entire class to share:
- A variety of demonstration wedges with different angles and materials. For example, a plastic knife, putty knife, table knife, metal screwdriver or chisel (and a small hammer to use with the chisel).
- Some demonstration quarry material. For example, a half stick of cold margarine, a brick, etc.